Monday, January 5, 2009

What Was New Last Week?

The goal each week is to try some new recipes and create some more of my own. This past week, I was all about trying new ones, making some favorites and getting comfortable with them, so we don't have to wait until the rare visit to a restaurant.

To that end, I'm going to try a bunch of Greek recipes in the coming months.

What was new?

Cincinnati Chili. This turned out the way I remember Skyline's being, the same texture and consistency. Ed's opinion is that it was probably too cinnamon-y for most people. He also offered that it was more like what you find in the pastitsio than what I used in that recipe. Lesson learned, make a batch of this, then make the rest of the stuff for Pastitsio according to the recipe I found.

Cheesy Rice Pilaf.
I know something is a huge hit when Chef asks for seconds and thirds and then says that the leftovers will be his lunch the next day. Too bad he ate so much that there wasn't enough for anyone to have leftovers.

I took an Emeril recipe, subbed Beef broth and doubled the onions and removed the peppers. It was very savory and used a total of four cups of water when the recipe said it'd use one.

Gnocci
I love getting this when I dine out because it's something I didn't make at home. Well, now I do. Even though I love the ones I get out (and probably will still do it), the ones at home were melt in your mouth. This is not a quick meal to whip up after work though. It'll be a day off meal when I do return to work. I need to make sure I have basil next time, so I can make some pesto to go with them.

No comments: