Friday, October 12, 2007

Shingetsu New Moon Japanese Restaurant, Lakeland


This past Sunday, Jane decided she was going to treat us to dinner at her favorite Japanese restaurant. Never one to turn down a free meal out(*), we of course accept her offer. We then find that this is the place that she got the sushi.

Last week, when we were visiting, she brought out a to go box of sushi and both boys consumed, with Chef Jr practically inhaling the box. It was love at first sight for the child who eats anything and everything from the ocean. Gameboy also had a few pieces, which both shocked an impressed me. He is beyond picky, hates proteins and has texture problems. Perhaps wrapping things in rice is how to get the child to eat them?

We travel down to South Lakeland, only to end up at the shopping center where Mugs and Movies is located. We were there the night before to see Harry Potter (and have nachos and beer while seeing HP) and had no idea this gem was hidden in a strip mall.

Entering the restaurant, it was deserted. Several servers and the owner hopped into action. On the way in, we pass the sushi bar-there is nothing premade up, just a refrigerated case of some beautiful looking fish. We are seated and then the fun begins.

Chef Jr sat at one end of the table, next to Jane. They immediately start their plotting, the majority of which I miss, because I'm trying to decide what I will eat. I've never consumed sushi because I am a shellfish fan and even that, I limit my intake due to the iodine allergy.
Thankfully, there are many things for me to choose from. Do I have Tempura, Teppan Yaki, Katsu or Shoga Yaki? Ultimately, I decide on the Pork Shoga Yaki and Ed picks the Katsu Donburi.

On the Scorecard O Sushi, the list is long, but Jane and Chef seem to have found some things they would like. Holy cow, did they find stuff. Jane offers the list to Ed, to get what he wants. Does she realize that each one she's chosen means four pieces? He asks, and she says she means to get what she picked: Eel, Tokyo Roll, Spicy Crab, Bang Bang Rolls, a Volcano roll and some smoked salmon and sashimi tuna.

We place our orders, Ed's mom getting the tempura, Gameboy some Gyoza. The dinners three of us have ordered come with miso soup. My experience with Miso in the past tells me I'd rather have the wonton soup.

Appetizers of Gyoza and spring rolls come out. This kitchen knows how to lightly fry-the spring rolls are quite flaky, the dumplings delicate and crunchy.

Next, the soups. The Miso has cubed tofu floating in it, so I'm happy I switched. I don't mind tofu but find it in it's unadulterated state bland and chalky. However, I had some of Ed's soup. It's quite flavorful. The wonton has those same Gyoza in a beef broth with plenty of green onions and tempura batter in it. Very light.

We also get salads. These are cabbage salads with a savory ginger dressing. Think cole slaw on steroids, which makes me think the next batch of coleslaw I make probably will have copious amounts of ginger added. We share dishes around, as there is so much food and we all want to try each other's meals.

The entrees come out, as does this HUGE tray of sushi. The picture above is everything except the volcano roll. The owner is a sushi chef, and in fifteen minutes, she rolled all of that (remember, there are only ingredients on that bar), the volcano roll AND served a couple who sat down at the bar for some sushi and drinks. Brava!

Chef Jr and Jane had a ball, chatting away the whole time. The child is fearless, he ate everything! I think his favorite is the eel. I tried a piece of the spicy shrimp. It was delicious and I will have some again. The only difficult thing of it for me is trying to fit the whole thing in my mouth!

We continued to sample around, with Ed's mom's tempura rather yummy, my Shoga Yaki fantastic (its in a ginger sauce, but there is a distinct mustard flavor, too. loved it) and Ed loving his Donburi, but deeming it cannon fodder in the face of all that sushi.

The whole time, the owner and staff were most attentive. There were finally four other tables of diners, but the owner chatted with us several times. She and Chef Jr talked about fish for a bit. Honestly, I was surprised that a place this fine wasn't filled to capacity. Even I know that to find sushi done properly is something to celebrate.

If you live in Lakeland, there is no reason to purchase those Okami packages in the supermarkets! You can get exactly what you want made to order. As for Chef Jr, I now see lots of visits to Shingetsu in our future. They'll probably involve getting Jane to go with us. What I didn't consider is that sushi is one meal that doesn't have to be altered by her dietary restrictions. Pretty neat that she can have something she loves and not regret it later.

I'm sure Ed will fill you in on his experience. He about died and went to heaven!

1 comment:

ligirl said...

October 12th? I KNOW that you have eaten since then! UPDATE ME, PLEASE!